I’m the first to admit: I am a serial rebrander!! Or, I should say ‘was a serial rebrander’. I swear I will not change my brand again for at least the next 5years. I have, embarrassingly, changed my logo 6 times since I started working for myself 4 years ago.
In my defence, as a graphic designer it is very very hard to design for yourself. I see so many amazing design concepts and I want them all. But I realised what was really missing… a defined brand. Also I was lacking time and a clear vision of my ideal client!! I spend all my working time creating other people’s brand and didn’t prioritise time for my own business. I make clients complete questionnaires and put together Pinterest boards, all so I can have better knowledge of their business, mission, vision, target market and personal style. I never really stopped and took the time to reflect on my own business. Once I did, I quickly realised my mission and target market has changed a lot over the past 4 years. In 2012, my target market was mothers of young children looking for birth announcement cards or birthday invitations. Fast forward 4 years and my target market is passionate business owners who are looking to take their business to the next level and my mission is to help these entrepreneurs bring their ideas and dreams to life through a purposeful, personal branding and web design process. Having now clearly defined my target market, I could confidently move forward and create an authentic brand that would reflect my own style (minimalist, monochrome) and also engage my ideal clients for years to come.
So I encourage you to ask yourself the following questions to see if your business might be due for a rebrand. Keep in mind that a brand is more than a logo, it’s a story. If you answer ‘no’ to two or more questions below, you may want to contact me and consider rebranding.
- Reflect on your current mission, is it the same as when you first established your business?
- When someone visits your website or social media can they immediately tell what your business is all about?
- Are you attracting your ideal clients?
- Is your branding consistent on all levels (ie. social media, website, print collateral, emails etc)?
- Does your brand design allow for your long term goals?
- Will your brand still be relevant in 5 years time?
- Do you love your brand design?
- Does your brand reflect your own personal style and story?